Clerk of the Courts
PRO SE DIVORCE INFORMATIOn
DIVORCE: PRO SE INFORMATION
The documents above were created to provide valuable information, court forms, and various resources for people who represent themselves in court. Please review each document carefully. Self-representation should not be taken lightly. There are many instances in which hiring an attorney is a good idea. We suggest that even if you use the forms provided, you still talk with an attorney prior to submitting them to a court.
Filing Fee: $177.00*
Service by Sheriff: $28.00*
If you believe you qualify for a filing fee waiver, please complete the Verified Motion for Fee Waiver by following the instructions attached and file with your paperwork.
*Please Note: Paying with a debit/credit card will charge a 3% transaction fee
Forms above do not explain the law and may not provide all of the information necessary for a court to reach a decision. You have permission to use the forms and information presented here for the purpose of filing a divorce. The forms should not be used to engage in the unauthorized practice of law.
The Court assumes no responsibilities and accepts no liability for actions taken by your use of these documents, including reliance on their contents. All files are under continual revision. If you are not using these forms right away, we strongly recommend that you check in on a regular basis to make sure that the forms you are using are the most current.
****The Clerk's Office and Court employees are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. No one in the Clerk's Office or Courts can help you complete the forms above. When filing "Pro Se" or as a "Self-Represented" party, you are your own attorney. You are responsbile for understanding the rules of law and completing the paperwork correctly.****
TO FILE YOUR DIVORCE ACTION, YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING:
- Complete the above forms by utilizing the fillable PDF and print off the entire package.
- Return the fully completed forms to the Clerk's Office for filing.
- Bring the filing fee and documents with you when you file. See options below for service of your lawsuit on the opposing party:
- Service by Sheriff: Bring $205.00 ($177.00 filing fee and $28.00 fee for Service by Sheriff)
- Service by Certified Mail: Bring $177.00 (filing fee)
- The Clerk will distribute service of the papers as you have requested above. The Clerk will keep the original papers and return a copy to you.
You are divorced when the Judge signs the Decree of Dissolution. You should not get re-married until you have a copy of the Decree of Dissolution signed by the Judge.
NOTE: In Pro Se divorces with children involved, mediation and a parenting seminar or program are required. Following perfection of service, please contact the ADR Coordinator, Debbie Cooper at 812-285-6303 to have a mediator assigned to your case.