Clark County Council
Indiana Code 36-2-3 provides that the County Council is the fiscal body for county government. The official name is "The Clark County Council".
County Council Meetings are held at 6:00 P.M. in Room 418 of the Clark County Government Building. Please contact Jessica Huffman in the Auditor's Office (812) 285-6214 if you wish to be placed on the Agenda.
The council members serve four (4) year terms beginning January 1 after the election. One (1) member of the fiscal body shall be elected by the voters of each of the four (4) districts and must reside in that district. Three (3) At-large members of the fiscal body shall be elected by the voters of the whole county and must reside in the county.
The council has authority to view or review fiscal matters, determine proper policy and set priorities for the allocation and expenditure of county funds.
The general assembly determines the powers of a county council which typically are:
- Approving and fixing annual operating budgets of all county government offices and agencies. (IC 36-2-5-11)
- Establishing salaries, wages, per diems and other compensation for all county officials and employees. (IC 36-2-5-11)
- Fixing tax rates and establishing levies on all county property for the purpose of raising funds to meet budget requirements in conducting county business, as well as authorizing the borrowing of money in the form of bonds and notes. (IC36-2-6-18)
- Appropriating public funds, i.e., authorizing the expenditure of county money by particular officials or departments for specific purposes.
- Authorizing certain purchases or sales of county owned land (IC 36-1-11-3) or other real property (36-2-2-20).
County Council Meetings
Normally scheduled county council meetings are held on the second Monday of every month. The County Council meetings are held at the Clark County Government Building located at 501 East Court Ave. Room 418, Jeffersonville, IN 47130. The meetings begin at 6:00pm.
Council District Map
Meet your Clark County Council
Barbara Hollis - Council President
1st District - Jeffersonville Twp. Precincts 1-18, 20-25, - All East of I-65.
Term Expires: - 12/31/2022
Term Expires 12/31/2022
Photo coming soon
4th District - Bethlehem, Charlestown, Oregon, Owen, Utica, and WashingtonTwps.
Term Expires: 12/31/2022
Kevin Vissing - Clark County At-Large
Term Expires: 12/31/2020
Brian Lenfert - Clark County At-Large
Term Expires: 12/31/2020
Dr. Tony Bennett - Clark County At-Large
Term Expires 12/31/2020
Maxwell McCrite, Council Attorney